First things first: Contracts, multisig, treasury, and assets are all safe.
With that out of the way, let’s dig into what happened during the weekend.
As many of you already know, one of Thales' early core contributors went rogue and deleted our previous Discord server with over 3,000 members. He was the creator of the Discord and even when there was a pending request to transfer ownership he was able to pull that off (If someone from the Discord team is reading, DAOs need a way to avoid this, take note!).
Here is the link to the new Discord, we’ll be waiting for you there! 💪
He also took down both Thales’ domains (thales.market and thales.io) as he was the one who registered those.
Here is the link to the new website domain thalesmarket.io
This individual has been inactive, not communicating (avoiding answering DMs from team members and strategic partners), and not contributing for more than 2 months.
We can only assume his actions are the aftermath of TIP-9 (Thales Improvement Proposal #9) reveal, which the community supported, that described what to do in cases like this one. You can find all the detailed information regarding this situation here:
👉 Google doc backup of TIP-9 (it’s 3.5 pages long, but has all the details)
We anticipated this situation could happen so we took steps to mitigate the possible damage this individual could’ve caused.
- He was already removed from the Treasury multisig, so he can’t access any funds from the treasury.
- Twitter and Medium had their login emails changed, so are both SAFU.
- He didn’t have any control over Github, private repositories, nor any smart contract related to Thales. (He just deleted his only contribution to Github, the gov site which is being re-built)
- Gitbook was cloned, we’ll have our full documentation back up shortly.
We think it’s important to highlight that, in the end, besides this event being a mild annoyance to Thales core contributors and community, it didn’t affect us besides needing to deploy a new Discord server, domains, and re-organize some internal stuff.
This event showed us a few things and gave us some valuable lessons:
- This was a great stress test for the protocol and we were able to control the situation on short notice, even when someone from inside the team went rogue. Decentralization pays off!
- As 0xDAO said on a Tweet supporting us: Resilient communities rally in the face of adversity. And that’s what we are doing now. We’ll prevail and we’ll thrive as a community!
- Thales core contributors were able to act quickly and solve this situation on a weekend during a time where most were asleep. Having people in different time zones might make it harder to coordinate meetings but also has its upside.
- The support from strategic partners, other projects (big hug to you guys, you know who you are!), and our community have been nothing but spectacular. We are truly building this together.
All in all, we are happy how that we can now look forward without worrying about this individual’s actions as he can’t do more damage right now.
Speaking of moving forward…
New Discord, new domains, new life
Now that we can put that event in the past, make sure to update your bookmarks with Thales’ new links.
Thales website: thalesmarket.io
Thales dapp: thalesmarket.io/markets
Thales’ Discord (home of the mighty Titans!): https://discord.gg/thales
New Thales’ core contributors
As the saying goes: “When one door closes, another one opens…”
We’re thrilled to announce Thales is welcoming new core contributors: Gruja (Developer), Cvija (QA), Sanguine (Game developer 👀), and Orilla (Strategist). You can read about them, and all the other Thales’ core contributors in the #thales-team channel in our new Discord.
A warm welcome to these new souls who’ll help Thales continue going upwards and onwards!
And last, but not least, let’s see what’s in front of us, regarding Thales’ development.
We are working every day to bring Thales into Optimism network (Layer 2).
As of right now, we are whitelisted for launch and eagerly waiting for the scheduled OP mainnet regenesis on November 11th. After that, we’ll be able to re-assess and give a more clear estimate for Thales going live.
We are getting closer, we can almost smell those low-fee transactions!
In regard to current Thales’ offer of products, we’ve been developing a new format of a round of prediction markets played in succession where only the ones who guess the correct outcome move to the next round. Winner(s) who reach the last round takes the whole prize pool.
Sound exciting? Welcome to Thales Royale! (coming soon 👀)
We’ll keep rebuilding the new Discord and the documentation as we continue this epic journey, now lighter than ever, without anyone holding us back.
Join us and… let’s 👏 keep 👏 building 👏